Rawlins County Elementary School
History of Rawlins County Elementary School
The first grade school in Atwood opened in 1880 in a dug out a short distance southeast of the present high school. Another building was erected on the same block of our present grade school location in about 1916 and was added onto in 1926.
Our present gym was constructed in 1950 and some remodeling was done to the old structure at that time.
The new building was completed in 1965. This new building was connected to the gym addition that was built in 1950. The old building was razed in 1966.
In 1991 an addition was added which included a kindergarten classroom, speech classroom, special reading classroom, psychologist office and conference. Beginning with the 2002-03 school year this addition was converted to offices for the superintendent, district clerk, counselor and the kindergarten classroom became the headstart classroom.
It became Rawlins County Elementary School with the beginning of the 2004-05 school year following consolidation and the closing of the Herndon Elementary School.